They were a real treat with some breadcrumbs roasted on butter and mix of cinnamon and sugar – this mix my grandma always had prepared in a small cute container.
I veganised the recipe and I think dumplings couldn’t be any more simple than this.
Vegan apricot dumplings
Vegan apricot dumplings that you won't be able to stop eating.
- 1 kg of potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 200g of flour
- 30g of corn starch
- 2 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 15 apricots and few tablespoons of brown sugar (omit sugar if you want to)
- Step 1 Cook whole potatoes (with skin on) in salted water for about half an hour (or until they are very soft when you stab them with a fork).
- Step 2 Peel and mash them. Add all the other ingredients except apricots and taste just a bit of the mixture. If needed add more salt and nutmeg. Mash well everything together. If it is too dry add a bit of water, if it is too wet add a bit of flour.
- Step 3 Divide into 15 equal balls, flatten each of them, add pitted appricot and a teaspoon of brown sugar and roll in a ball. Place them on floured surface.
- Step 4 Cook them in boiling water (it needs to be boiling before you put them in) for around 8 minutes.
- Step 5 Drain and serve. (For serving suggestions check out the wise-ass corner below.)
I roasted 4 tablespoons of breadcrumbs on approximately 2 tablespoons of vegan butter until they became golden.
To make cinnamon-sugar mixture just mix together 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 4 tablespoons of sugar.
You can also make them with plums.