I really love the flavor of fennel. And I actually made a similar recipe a while ago (Fennel soup with cashews). Only this time I added some leek too and topped it with blended sunflower seeds. The result is a gentle fennel – leek soup that will fill you up nicely in this weather.
Fennel - leek soup
Aromatic and gentle fennel - leek soup with sunflower cream.
- 300 g fennel
- 250 g leek
- 250 g potato
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 l water
- Salt and pepper
- For sunflower topping
- 60 g roasted sunflower seeds
- 50 ml water
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- Step 1 Chop fennel*, leek and peeled potatoes.
- Step 2 Heat oil in a pot and start roasting fennel and leek. it will take about 5 minutes. Add sugar and roast it for another 3 minutes while mixing.
- Step 3 Add potatoes and pour in water. Add salt and pepper and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Step 4 When everything is cooked blend it, pour back in the pot and adjust the flavor with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Step 5 For sunflower seeds topping just blend everything with a small food processor and top the soup with it.
*Make sure to chop fennel to very small cubes so there won’t be much fiber after blending.