It’s true that these balls don’t have the same texture as meatballs. But they are super delicious anyway! Mushroom balls in sauce include a lot of chickpeas too. And not that I want to be a smart ass but they are actually really healthy and full of protein.
Mushroom balls in sauce
Delicious mushroom and chickpeas balls in tomato sauce.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion
- 400 g champignons
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1,5 teaspoon salt
- Spices (turmeric, smoked red paprika, thyme, oregano)
- 500 g cooked chickpeas
- 80-100 g bread crumbs
- 1 l spiced tomato sauce
- Optional/Very necessary for the side: Mashed potato
- Step 1 Put oil in a pan and start cooking chopped onion and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes then add chopped mushrooms, salt and spices. Cook for another 5-7 minutes on high heat so a lot of liquid evaporates.
- Step 2 Blend the mixture in a food processor. But don’t blend it too much! We still want small pieces to remain.
- Step 3 Mix in the bread crumbs. Taste and add spices if necessary.
- Step 4 Shape golf-sized balls and put them on a parchment paper placed on a baking tray. Bake 40 minutes on 180ºC. (Half way trough I recommend turning the balls.)
- Step 5 When they are baked and very compact you simply stir them in a hot tomato sauce and serve right away.*
*I suggest you don’t leave the balls in sauce for longer but stir the in right before serving. If they will stay for long they will get soggy (but still delicious, I can confirm.) Just saying! 🙂
Play with spices!